RN Circulator Laws and Language
Hospital: IOWA ADMINISTRATIVE CODE
CHAPTER 6: NURSING PRACTICE FOR REGISTERED NURSES/LICENSED PRACTICAL NURSES
655-6.3(152) Minimum standards of practice for licensed practical nurses
d. Operating rooms. (A licensed practical nurse may assist with circulating duties when supervised by a registered nurse circulating in the same room.)
655-6.7(152) Specific nursing practice for registered nurses.
A registered nurse, while circulating in the operating room, shall provide supervision only to persons in the same operating room.
Registered Nurse First Assistants (RNFAs)
Iowa Board of Nursing Position Statement, Registered Nurse First Assistants, Last Revised 2006
RN first assistant behaviors in the perioperative arena may include:
* preoperative patient management with other health care providers, including but not limited to,
- performing preoperative evaluation focused nursing assessment,
- communicating/collaborating with other health care providers regarding the patient plan of care, and
- writing preoperative orders according to established protocols of the physician and/or facility
* intraoperative surgical first-assisting, including but not limited to,
- using instruments/medical devices,
- providing exposure,
- handling and/or cutting tissue,
- suturing; and
- harvesting veins
* postoperative patient management with other health care providers in the immediate postoperative period and beyond, including but not limited to,
- writing postoperative orders/operative notes according to established protocols of the physician and/or facility,
- participating in postoperative rounds, and
- assisting with discharge planning and identifying appropriate community resources as needed.
Relates to patient safety through nurse staffing; establishes nurse staffing plans, collaborative nurse staffing committees, and patient safety plans; prohibits retaliatory action against nurses; requires a hospital to approve, implement and comply with a nurse staffing plan developed by the hospital's collaborative nurse staffing committee; provides that the nurse staffing plan must provide for adequate, appropriate, and quality service delivery.
Would establish minimum nurse-to-patient ratios for hospitals