Expand Your Knowledge - Strengthen Your Patient Care
Stay up-to-date with the latest in evidence-based, clinical best practices through the award-winning, peer-reviewed AORN Journal. Available in timely, easy-to-read print, electronic, and mobile formats.
Check it out! The new and improved AORN Journal homepage brings you all the essential information you need in a more contemporary, user-friendly format, featuring enhanced visuals, improved navigation, a more interactive experience (monthly podcasts and live Twitter feed), and improved access to recent and archived CE articles.
March 2017 Issue
Special Focus Issue: Healthy Nurse Strategies
This March issue features special themed articles on promoting self-care and well-being among perioperative nurses by cultivating mindfulness, encouraging resilience in new perioperative nurses, and addressing perioperative staff member fatigue. In addition, the Back to Basics article covers instrument cleaning and the guideline implementation article provides key recommendations related to electrosurgery.
- Back to Basics: Instrument Cleaning
- Guideline Implementation: Energy-Generating Devices, Part 1 –Electrosurgery
- Clinical Issues: Surgical smoke evacuation practices, policies, and procedures; patient safety and hand hygiene
- Cultivating Mindfulness to Promote Self-Care and Well-Being
- Nurses and Health-Promoting Behaviors
- Promoting Resilience in New Perioperative Nurses
- Addressing Perioperative Staff Member Fatigue
April 2017 Issue Preview
The April 2017 issue features articles on postoperative pain self-management behavior, service dogs in the perioperative setting, tools for trauma and surgical resuscitation efforts, reducing pediatric surgery cancellations, implementing laser safety guidelines, and more!
AORN Journal Writers Contest Award Winners
The AORN Journal Writers Contest Awards recognize authors of the highest-quality AORN Journal articles. All articles published in the Journal in 2015 were eligible. Winning articles were chosen based on points awarded by Journal editors and Editorial Board members. Congratulations to our winners and honorable mentions!
The AORN Journal Writers Contest winners are:
- “Cardiac Risk Assessment: Decreasing Postoperative Complications” by Joanne L. Thanavaro, DNP, ANP-BC, GNP-BC, AGACNP-BC, DCC, FAANP (February)
- “The Nature and Hazards of Diathermy Plumes: A Review” by Catherine Lindsey, BN, RN; Marie Hutchinson, PhD, Grad Dip HA, MSc, RN, RM; and Gary Mellor, PhD, RN (April)
- “The Bariatric Patient: An Overview of Perioperative Care” by Jennifer L. Fencl, DNP, RN, CNS-BC, CNOR; Angela Walsh, MA, BSN, RN, CNOR; and Dawn Vocke, MSN, MBA, RN, CNOR (August)
Honorable mention goes to:
- “Computer Simulation Shows the Effect of Communication on Day of Surgery Patient Flow” by Kevin Taaffe, PhD; Lawrence Fredendall, PhD; Nathan Huynh, PhD; and Jennifer Franklin, MSN, NE-BC, CPAN (July)
- “Pressure Mapping Comparison of Four OR Surfaces” by Holly Kirkland-Walsh, MSN, FNP, CWCN; Oleg Teleten, MS, RN, CWCN; Machelle Wilson, PhD; and Bonnie Raingruber, PhD, RN (July)
AORN Journal CE Articles
Stay Current, Meet Requirements, Earn CEs
Searching for quality education? Preparing for recertification? AORN Journal Continuing Education (CE) articles feature a variety of perioperative topics, from sterilization and guideline implementation to prevention of sentinel events and infection prevention, as well as online evaluations with immediate test results!
Contribute to the AORN Journal
Write for the AORN Journal
Help patients through authorship — start writing for the AORN Journal. Get the resources you need to get started today including a list of suggested topics, author guidelines, a submission checklist, and more.
Peer Review for the AORN Journal
Help improve the quality of content in the AORN Journal by serving as a peer reviewer. Access the resources you need to get started today, including tutorials, guidelines, and more.