Expand Your Knowledge - Strengthen Your Patient Care
Stay up-to-date with the latest in evidence-based, clinical best practices through the award-winning, peer-reviewed AORN Journal. Available in timely, easy-to-read print, electronic, and mobile formats.
August 2016 Issue
Special Focus: Management Certification
This August issue features a special focus on management certification and includes continuing education articles that are tied to the domains of the Certified Surgical Services Manager (CSSM) certification program. Article topics include leadership, professionalism, OR efficiency, effective communication, successful orientation strategies, and more.
- Perioperative Nurse Leaders and Professionalism
- Improving OR Efficiency
- Effective Perioperative Communication to Enhance Patient Care
- Strategies for Successful Perioperative Orientation
- Leadership and Management Roles: Challenges and Success Strategies
- Clinical Issues: Assessing discharge risks for infants and toddlers who have undergone moderate sedation, assessing a child for sleep apnea, using a frailty index to assess surgical patients, and determining the need for IV access in patients undergoing local anesthesia.
- Using a Checklist in Robotic-Assisted Laparoscopic Radical Prostatectomy Procedures
- Perioperative Nurse Leaders and Their Role in Patient Safety
September 2016 Issue Preview
Next month's issue will feature content on collaborating with music therapists, best practices for preventing surgical fires, implementation strategies for effectively processing flexible endoscopes, and more.
AORN Journal Writers Contest Award Winners
The AORN Journal Writers Contest Awards recognize authors of the highest-quality AORN Journal articles. All articles published in the Journal in 2015 were eligible. Winning articles were chosen based on points awarded by Journal editors and Editorial Board members. Congratulations to our winners and honorable mentions!
The AORN Journal Writers Contest winners are:
- “Cardiac Risk Assessment: Decreasing Postoperative Complications” by Joanne L. Thanavaro, DNP, ANP-BC, GNP-BC, AGACNP-BC, DCC, FAANP (February)
- “The Nature and Hazards of Diathermy Plumes: A Review” by Catherine Lindsey, BN, RN; Marie Hutchinson, PhD, Grad Dip HA, MSc, RN, RM; and Gary Mellor, PhD, RN (April)
- “The Bariatric Patient: An Overview of Perioperative Care” by Jennifer L. Fencl, DNP, RN, CNS-BC, CNOR; Angela Walsh, MA, BSN, RN, CNOR; and Dawn Vocke, MSN, MBA, RN, CNOR (August)
Honorable mention goes to:
- “Computer Simulation Shows the Effect of Communication on Day of Surgery Patient Flow” by Kevin Taaffe, PhD; Lawrence Fredendall, PhD; Nathan Huynh, PhD; and Jennifer Franklin, MSN, NE-BC, CPAN (July)
- “Pressure Mapping Comparison of Four OR Surfaces” by Holly Kirkland-Walsh, MSN, FNP, CWCN; Oleg Teleten, MS, RN, CWCN; Machelle Wilson, PhD; and Bonnie Raingruber, PhD, RN (July)
AORN Journal CE Articles
Stay Current, Meet Requirements, Earn CEs
Searching for quality education? Preparing for recertification? AORN Journal Continuing Education (CE) articles feature a variety of perioperative topics, from sterilization and guideline implementation to prevention of sentinel events and infection prevention, as well as online evaluations with immediate test results!
Contribute to the AORN Journal
Write for the AORN Journal
Help patients through authorship — start writing for the AORN Journal. Get the resources you need to get started today including a list of suggested topics, author guidelines, a submission checklist, and more.
Peer Review for the AORN Journal
Help improve the quality of content in the AORN Journal by serving as a peer reviewer. Access the resources you need to get started today, including tutorials, guidelines, and more.