Expand Your Knowledge - Strengthen Your Patient Care
Stay up-to-date with the latest in evidence-based, clinical best practices through the award-winning, peer-reviewed AORN Journal. Available in timely, easy-to-read print, electronic, and mobile formats.
Have You Heard the Journal Lately?
We know you like to read the AORN Journal, but now you can listen to it, too. The Journal now features special monthly podcasts to allow you to take the Journal with you on-the-go, wherever you go!
Download Journal content on the digital device you prefer and choose from brief, summary podcasts highlighting the overall issue, and full-length podcasts of entire articles. Each month’s Journal features both a new summary podcast and two new full-length podcasts.
May 2017 Issue
This May issue features articles on performing sterile technique, facilitators and barriers to postsurgery self-management, improving practices related to urinary catheter placement and removal, current knowledge of inadvertent perioperative hypothermia, and surgical smoke management. The Clinical Issues column explores standardized room layouts for minimally invasive surgery, robot-assisted surgery competencies, and more.
- Back to Basics: Sterile Technique
- Guideline Implementation: Surgical Smoke Safety (*Available in Full-Length Podcast!)
- Clinical Issues—May 2017
- Postoperative Distress of Orthopedic Ambulatory Surgery Patients
- Indwelling Urinary Catheters: A Pathway to Health Care—Associated Infections (*Available in Full-Length Podcast!)
- Inadvertent Perioperative Hypothermia: Current Nursing Knowledge
June 2017 Issue Preview
The June 2017 issue features special post-conference coverage on the AORN Global Surgical Conference & Expo 2017, including posters, awards, and pictorial highlights. In addition, it includes articles on children’s perioperative memories, performing an enhanced time out, implementing skin-to-skin contact for cesarean birth, and more!
AORN Journal Writers Contest Award Winners
The AORN Journal Writers Contest Awards recognize authors of the highest-quality AORN Journal articles. All articles published in the Journal in 2016 were eligible. Winning articles were chosen based on points awarded by Journal editors and Editorial Board members. Congratulations to our winners!
The 2017 AORN Journal Writers Contest winners are:
- “Pressure Ulcers: Factors Contributing to Their Development in the OR” by Dawn Engels, MSN, RN, CNS, CWOCN, CWCN-AP; Melody Austin, BSN, RN, CWOCN; Laurie McNichol, MSN, RN, CNS, GNP, CWOCN, CWON-AP; Jennifer Fencl, DNP, RN, CNS-BC, CNOR; Sat Gupta, PhD; and Haseeb Kazi, MD (March)
- “Big Data and Perioperative Nursing” by Bonnie L. Westra, PhD, RN, FAAN, FACMI; and Jessica J. Peterson, PhD-C, RN, CRNA (October)
- “Preoperative Screening for Sleep-Disordered Breathing in Children: A Systematic Literature Review” by Erin E. Bauer, DNP, CRNA; Rebecca Lee, DNP, CRNA; and Yasmine N. Campbell, DNP, CRNA (December)
AORN Journal CE Articles
Stay Current, Meet Requirements, Earn CEs
Searching for quality education? Preparing for recertification? AORN Journal Continuing Education (CE) articles feature a variety of perioperative topics, from sterilization and guideline implementation to prevention of sentinel events and infection prevention, as well as online evaluations with immediate test results!
Contribute to the AORN Journal
Write for the AORN Journal
Help patients through authorship — start writing for the AORN Journal. Get the resources you need to get started today including a list of suggested topics, author guidelines, a submission checklist, and more.
Peer Review for the AORN Journal
Help improve the quality of content in the AORN Journal by serving as a peer reviewer. Access the resources you need to get started today, including tutorials, guidelines, and more.