Expand Your Knowledge - Strengthen Your Patient Care
Stay up-to-date with the latest in evidence-based, clinical best practices through the award-winning, peer-reviewed AORN Journal. Available in timely, easy-to-read print, electronic, and mobile formats.
Introducing Journal Essentials
On-the-go just got easier with Journal Essentials - our new digital supplement to the AORN Journal. Providing a snapshot view of each month’s Journal articles, this great new resource delivers one page summaries of articles considered essential reading for perioperative practice!
Check out this month’s edition.
June 2017 Issue
Special Post-Global Surgical Conference & Expo Issue
This June issue features articles on performing an enhanced time out to prevent wrong-site, wrong-procedure, and wrong-patient surgery; new screening techniques and improved treatment options for patients with nonpalpable breast lesions; the association between acute postoperative pain, analgesic therapy, and hemodynamic parameters; the accuracy of children’s declarative memories after surgery; implementing early skin-to-skin contact in the OR; and more.
- Implementing Skin-to-Skin Contact for Cesarean Birth
- Radioactive Seed Localization Program for Patients with Nonpalpable Breast Lesions
- Clinical Issues—June 2017
- Enhanced Time Out: An Improved Communication Process
- Association Between Acute Pain and Hemodynamic Parameters
- Accuracy of Children’s Perioperative Memories
July 2017 Issue Preview
The July 2017 issue features a Back to Basics article on radiation safety, a guideline implementation article on minimally invasive surgery, and additional articles on do-not-resuscitate orders in the perioperative environment, perioperative management of patients undergoing face transplantation, and more!
AORN Journal Writers Contest Award Winners
The AORN Journal Writers Contest Awards recognize authors of the highest-quality AORN Journal articles. All articles published in the Journal in 2016 were eligible. Winning articles were chosen based on points awarded by Journal editors and Editorial Board members. Congratulations to our winners!
The 2017 AORN Journal Writers Contest winners are:
- “Pressure Ulcers: Factors Contributing to Their Development in the OR” by Dawn Engels, MSN, RN, CNS, CWOCN, CWCN-AP; Melody Austin, BSN, RN, CWOCN; Laurie McNichol, MSN, RN, CNS, GNP, CWOCN, CWON-AP; Jennifer Fencl, DNP, RN, CNS-BC, CNOR; Sat Gupta, PhD; and Haseeb Kazi, MD (March)
- “Big Data and Perioperative Nursing” by Bonnie L. Westra, PhD, RN, FAAN, FACMI; and Jessica J. Peterson, PhD-C, RN, CRNA (October)
- “Preoperative Screening for Sleep-Disordered Breathing in Children: A Systematic Literature Review” by Erin E. Bauer, DNP, CRNA; Rebecca Lee, DNP, CRNA; and Yasmine N. Campbell, DNP, CRNA (December)
AORN Journal CE Articles
Stay Current, Meet Requirements, Earn CEs
Searching for quality education? Preparing for recertification? AORN Journal Continuing Education (CE) articles feature a variety of perioperative topics, from sterilization and guideline implementation to prevention of sentinel events and infection prevention, as well as online evaluations with immediate test results!
Contribute to the AORN Journal
Write for the AORN Journal
Help patients through authorship — start writing for the AORN Journal. Get the resources you need to get started today including a list of suggested topics, author guidelines, a submission checklist, and more.
Peer Review for the AORN Journal
Help improve the quality of content in the AORN Journal by serving as a peer reviewer. Access the resources you need to get started today, including tutorials, guidelines, and more.