Periop 101 for Nursing School Programs
Program for Nursing Curricula
This online Fundamentals Course has been specifically designed for inclusion in general nursing programs.
AORN advocates for the inclusion of learning activities in the perioperative setting for all undergraduate professional nursing curricula. We believe the perioperative setting is a prime area where the nursing process can be applied. These learning activities can be integrated into the existing curricula of nursing programs and contribute to the desired end-of-program outcomes.
The perioperative setting also is an area where there is a tremendous emphasis on patient safety; therefore, it presents numerous opportunities to explore human factors and communication theories. The fundamentals course provides a well-defined foundation of perioperative nursing concepts and gives students basic information about aseptic technique and teamwork that can be translated into a myriad of clinical experiences.
The modules included in the Fundamentals Course include:
- Introduction to Perioperative Nursing
- The Surgical Environment
- Perianesthesia Nursing
- Perioperative Assessment
- Aseptic Technique
- Safety in the Surgical Suite
- Scrubbing, Gowning and Gloving
- Positioning the Surgical Patient
- Skin Prep
- Sterilization and Disinfection
Each educational module delivers critical didactic material and includes:
- Table of contents/outline
- Overview and goal(s)
- Learning objectives
- Mandatory reading assignments from the latest editions of Alexander’s Care of the Patient in Surgery and AORN Guidelines for Perioperative Practice(previously AORN Perioperative Standards and Recommended Practices).
- Recommended video supplements
- Interactive learning reinforcement exercises
- Module content summary
- Selected printable student handouts
- Post-test at conclusion of each module
Facilities purchasing the Fundamentals Course will receive:
- One complimentary registration for one Administrator Course
- One complimentary registration for one Preceptor Course
- Complimentary certificates of completion for each student
- Students have access to the course for six months. Administrators have access to the administrator and the student course for the full one-year term of the agreement.
Required textbooks to complete this course may be purchased online and include:
- AORN Guidelines for Perioperative Practice, current edition
- Alexander’s Care of the Patient in Surgery, current edition
Recommended videos from the Perioperative Nursing Video Library may be purchased from Cine-Med
Each student has six months to complete the modules on AORN’s Learning Center (ALC) from the time they complete the ALC online registration. A score of 80% or better is required to successfully complete the module. Students will receive a complimentary AORN Student Membership.
The modules in the Fundamentals Course are components of a complete education program for novice perioperative nurses called Periop 101: A Core Curriculum™. The full curriculum of 25 learning modules can also be purchased for use as an elective or post-licensure course.
Perioperative nursing content and clinical skills should be taught by faculty and cooperating staff (ie, staff serving as preceptors or mentors) who are both academically prepared and clinically experienced. The academic institution must ensure that students receive a blended educational program that includes facility or institution-provided skills labs and facility-provided clinical experiences.
Primer for Perioperative Education – AORN encourages perioperative nurses to collaborate with schools of nursing to utilize the surgical setting for clinical observation and experience. Perioperative settings provide numerous opportunities for nurses to showcase the nursing process to meet the unique needs of patients undergoing operative and other invasive procedures. This primer has been designed with several components to help prepare perioperative nurses to approach schools of nursing with an organized and effective presentation that will encourage future collaboration and the opportunity to give students a taste of the perioperative experience.
For additional information or to purchase, please contact Terry Avitable, MSN, RN, CNOR at 800-755-2676 Ext. 211.