This course will prepare the perioperative RN to sit for the CNOR exam by strengthening his or her knowledge of perioperative nursing. This course serves as a review of the current Perioperative Standards and Recommended Practices and will help reinforce fundamental concepts of perioperative nursing.
Upon completion of this course, the perioperative nurse will be able to:
1. Identify the governing body administering the CNOR credential.
2. Apply test taking strategies for the CNOR examination.
3. Discuss key components of the nursing process related to perioperative nursing.
4. Identify critical thinking skills necessary to effectively practice perioperative nursing.
5. Identify safety measures to maintain a sterile field throughout the perioperative stay.
6. Identify nursing interventions to ensure a safe environment for the perioperative patient.
7. Identify strategies to assist the perioperative patient during the administration of anesthesia.
8. Recognize perioperative patient complications associated with acute or chronic conditions.
9. Recognize signs and symptoms of a perioperative patient's changing condition.
10. Describe the role of the perioperative RN in emergent or crisis situations in the perioperative period.
11. Identify components of effective hand-off communication.
12. Identify the perioperative RN's role as patient advocate.
13. Examine perioperative concerns for special populations of perioperative patients
14. Discuss unique perioperative care for minimally invasive and ambulatory procedures.
15. Discuss the perioperative RN's role in patient and family education.
You will have access to:
- Online AORN Perioperative Standards and Recommended Practices
- Other online resources identified in each module
- AORN's Perioperative Standards and Recommended Practices, 2013 Edition
- Perioperative Textbook Package (Alexander's Care of the Patient in Surgery, 14th Edition, and Perioperative Standards and Recommended Practices, 2013 Edition)
- Alexander's Care of the Patient in Surgery, 14th Edition
Registrants must pass the practice exam at the end of the course with a score of at least 90 percent and complete the course evaluation to earn the contact hours. You will not earn additional contact hours if you retake the course or its revised versions.
We recommend that a PC be used for this course. AORN cannot provide technical support for Macs.
After purchasing this course you will receive an email with an access link. After your initial login you can also access your online courses via My AORN.
Taking the CNOR Exam
AORN does not administer the CNOR exam or confirm CNOR status. For information or eligibility requirements and CNOR exam registration, visit the CCI website. In order to plan your study time effectively and avoid an extension fee, it is suggested that you confirm eligibility and register for the exam before registering for this course.