AORN has developed tools to help you gain funding for your attendance at the Surgical Conference & Expo 2016.
Below are customizable letters to your supervisor, a budget worksheet, and general tips and talking points to help you quantify the benefits of attending.
- Letter to Supervisor Option #1 (Word Doc)
- Letter to Supervisor Option #2 (Word Doc)
- Conference Budget Worksheet (Excel Xls)
Many travel budgets and training budgets have been reduced which means that regardless of the merits of a conference, you’ll probably need to justify the expense. So here are some things you might want to consider:
- Focus on what you will specifically bring back to the organization as return for the investment.
- Offer to prepare and deliver a short presentation and Q&A to your colleagues to share what you learned. That way others in your unit will get the benefits of your attendance, too.
- Share the syllabus and speaker handouts with your colleagues. As an attendee, you have unlimited access to materials posted by speakers.
- If you are working to obtain or maintain your certification, remind your supervisor that this is a great way to earn contact hours and is less expensive than registering for separate conferences. It also requires less time away from the office.
- Be ready with a plan that shows who will cover for you while you are attending the conference.
- Offer to apply for grants through the AORN Foundation, and to contact your local chapter to request funding.
- Offer to share a room to reduce hotel expenses.
- Be sure to check out the registration page where all the various rates are listed to see if you qualify for any of the lower rates or discounts.