The Sharps Safety Tool Kit provided by the Association of periOperative Registered Nurses (AORN) is funded through the AORN Foundation and supported by a grant from Aspen Surgical, a Hill-Rom Company. The tool kit offers ways to reduce and avoid sharps injuries in the operating room.
Percutaneous sharps injuries in the operating room continue to happen with the largest portion of solid sharps injuries occurring during handling of suture needles. Most injuries occur using the sharp devices (70%), after using the devices, and during disposal of the sharp device. Learn the current, evidence-based practices and prevention techniques to decrease and eliminate sharps injuries during surgery. This toolkit will assist the perioperative educator, manager, registered nurses, and other interested health care professionals identify strategies to prevent and reduce the incidence of sharps injuries to meet the needs of an individual periOperative work setting.
Summary Report for Blood and Body Fluid Exposure Data Collected from Participating Healthcare Facilities (June 1995 through December 2007) (PDF). The National Surveillance System for Healthcare Workers (NaSH). Retrieved January 21, 2014
- Identify the risks of blood borne pathogen exposures.
- Discuss the current status of multidisciplinary OR sharps safety initiatives.
- Discuss the components of a sharps safety program in the OR.
- Describe strategies to implement evidence based practices for sharps safety in the periOperative setting.
- AORN Articles related to Sharps Safety in the OR (PDF)
- AORN News about Sharps Safety (PDF)
- "What every worker should know: how to protect yourself from needlestick injuries” Brochure Sample (PDF)
- OR Sharps Safety Checklists Sample (PDF)
- Facility Sharps Checklist Sample (PDF)
- Implementation Plan for Trialing Blunt Suture Needles Sample (PDF)
- Letter to Surgeons for OR Safety Compliance Sample (PDF)
- Selection of Sharps Injury Prevention Devices Sample (PDF)
- Sharps Injury Data Analysis Tool Sample (PDF)
- Sharps Safety Resources List (PDF)
- Sharps Safety Online Resources (PDF)
- Sharps Safety Tool Kit Faculty Disclosure (PPT)
- Poster 1 Reporting = Prevention Poster (AORN) (PDF)
- Poster 2 Reporting = Prevention Poster (Template) (PPT)
- Poster 3 CDC Sharps Safety Poster (PDF)
- Poster 4 Double Gloving: Evidence (PDF)
- Poster 5 Blunt Suture Needle: Evidence (PDF)
- Poster 6 Sharpless Surgery: Evidence (PDF)
- Poster 7 Suit of Armour (PDF)
Contact Hour Evaluation Form
Evaluation You may earn 4.3 contact hours before March 20, 2016 by completing the online evaluation in the Sharps Safety Tool Kit. All materials provided must be reviewed to obtain the contact hours for this activity. Register now
AORN is accredited as a provider of continuing nursing education by the American Nurses Credentialing Center's Commission on Accreditation. Organizations with the designation “Accreditation with Distinction” have completed an accreditation review with no deficiencies (progress report requirements).
AORN is Provider approved by the California Board of Registered Nursing, Provider Number CEP 13019.
Disclaimer: AORN recognizes these activities as continuing education for registered nurses. This recognition does not imply that AORN or the American Nurses Credentialing Center approves or endorses products mentioned in the activity.
Copyright ©2015 AORN, Inc. All rights reserved. Except as noted herein, no part of this publication may be reproduced or transmitted in any form or by any means, electronic or mechanical, including photocopying, recording, or any information storage and retrieval system, without prior written permission from AORN, Inc. Users are not permitted to use this content for commercial purposes. Users are permitted to copy and paste content and adapt it for use in their work settings. Permission for other uses may be sought directly from AORN, Inc., located in Denver, Colorado (USA), by contacting the Publications Department by email or by fax (303) 750-3441.
No responsibility is assumed by AORN, Inc. for any injury and/or damage to persons or property as a matter of products liability, negligence or otherwise, or from any use or operation of any standards, recommended practices, methods, products, instructions, or ideas contained in the material herein. Because of rapid advances in the health care sciences in particular, independent verification of diagnoses, medication dosages, and individualized care and treatment should be made. The material contained herein is not intended to be a substitute for the exercise of professional medical or nursing judgment The content in this publication is provided on an as is basis.
TO THE FULLEST EXTENT PERMITTED BY LAW, AORN, INC. DISCLAIMS ALL WARRANTIES, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, STATUTORY OR OTHERWISE, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY, NON-INFRINGEMENT OR THIRD PARTIES RIGHTS, AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.