Find answers to frequently asked questions and learn how other facilities are using Periop Mastery to standardize their training and education by contacting an account representative.
How does an administrator use the reports?
Administrators gain access to robust reports to track students' progress, review specific questions, and monitor group work. Reports can be customized to your healthcare organization and shared with students and management. New report features include:
- After completing a module, learners can review the content and see how they answered.
- Now you can obtain a formal assessment of learner retention by having learns take the Post Test. Reports are available to show how learners have retained information.
How can educators use the modules?
Nurse Educators may use Periop Mastery to meet a variety of needs, such as:
- Annual reviews - Facility required annual training for high-risk and high and low-volume patient care issues such as moderate sedation/analgesia, patient positioning, malignant hyperthermia, and radiation safety.
- Site reviews from accreditation and regulatory agencies - Provide current validation of continuing education and training requested by federal and state regulatory agencies and accreditation agencies such as the Joint Commission.
- On boarding for travel nurses or new experienced nurses - Assess the knowledge of recently hired RNs, travelers, RNs transferring from one area of care to another, and even highly experienced RNs.
- Competency validation - Combine with the facility’s skills days/competency reviews to enhance understanding.
- Remediation - Include Periop Mastery Program in an action plan for nurses to update knowledge of a specific practice or who are unable to demonstrate competency in a specific area.
- General education - Continuing education for RNs for license renewals and certification.
Does a facility need to purchase all the modules?
A facility is not required to buy all the modules although it is highly recommended. An educator can also choose to purchase specific modules to either ascertain knowledge gaps in a specific area or to address a specific issue identified.
How can I justify the expense to decision makers?
Surgery is a high risk environment. An organization can minimize patient risk through increasing nursing knowledge. You cannot address knowledge gaps if you do not know they exist.
Can new nurses enroll in Periop Mastery Program?
It is suggested that nurses new to perioperative services take Periop 101: A Core Curriculum first. However, it is not a requirement for registering for the program.
The modules can also be used to test competency for recently hired RNs.
What are the computer specification requirements for the Periop Mastery Program?
How does the program test confidence?
Periop Mastery Program utilizes a new technology that enables the student to learn material faster and retain the information longer. Traditionally multiple choice tests have been used to assess the learner's knowledge. However, studies show that multiple choice tests are flawed in distinguishing the student's level of knowledge. Conventional tests cannot distinguish if the student is confident in the selection of the correct answer or unsure of the information and guessed the correct answer.
The Periop Mastery modules are designed to test the student's level of knowledge and confidence in that knowledge. The module begins by determining what learners know and levels of confidence. As the student progresses through the module, educational resources are provided to help the student understand the correct answers. Students continue through the module until achieving mastery, which means knowledge is correct and level of confidence is "sure." Below is a sample question to show how both knowledge and confidence are evaluated.
Why should I offer Periop Mastery Program to my perioperative nursing staff?
Periop Mastery Program modules are based on the latest edition of AORN's Guidelines for Perioperative Practice teaching students the most current evidence-based clinical practice information. Mastery learning is designed to identify knowledge gaps, target education and improve competency.