AORN has created a specialized Periop 101 course to provide basic education regarding perioperative principles that are integral to the certified nurse midwife (CNM) functioning as a first assistant.
Who Should Take the Course?
- Nurse midwives
- First Assistants
- OB nurses preparing for first assistant or nurse midwife roles
- Advanced practice nurses with OB focus
Upon completion of this course, the midwife will be able to:
- Demonstrate development of basic surgical skills
- Apply the principles of aseptic technique in the clinical setting
- Understand the unique aspects of the surgical environment
- List 3 safety measures that must be consistently implemented during invasive procedures
- Demonstrate the ability to identify, handle properly, and pass basic surgical instruments safely
Required Reading Assignments
Required reading assignments will include applicable information from AORN’s latest Guidelines for Perioperative Practice and the latest Alexander’s Care of the Patient in Surgery.
The course includes the following modules:
- The Perioperative Environment
- Sterile Technique
- Perioperative Safety – Introduction
- Perioperative Safety – Equipment Focus
- Perioperative Safety – Patient Focus
- Hemostasis, Sponges, and Drains
- Surgical Instruments
- Scrubbing, Gowning, and Gloving
Receive 9.7 CH after successful completion of this program. Examination and evaluation must be completed by July 1, 2017.
Email us and provide your name, telephone number, facility name, and city/state.