Publish Date: April 27, 2016
On May 16, the National Legislative Forum (NLF) will kick off its monthly calls for members interested in legislative efforts and trends across the country. The NLF calls, led by Government Affairs staff throughout the year, will include guest speakers, topic discussion, advocacy training, legislative updates, and much more. If you are interested in participating in the monthly NLF calls, which take place on the 3rd Monday of each month at 5pm PT, 6pm MT, 7pm CT, 8pm ET, please sign up here.
By participating in the NLF, you will be able to advocate for your patients and your profession, help promote good perioperative nursing policy in your state, and have a better understanding of how legislation and regulations impact your operating rooms.
The AORN Government Affairs department supports advocacy on behalf of perioperative nurses before legislative and regulatory bodies at both the state and federal levels. Each year legislative priorities are identified with member feedback and approved by the Board of Directors. The current legislative priorities include:
- Ensuring there in an RN Circulator for every patient in every OR;
- Obtaining reimbursement parity for RNFAs;
- Promoting workplace safety thorough work place violence protections and safe patient handling;
- Encouraging efforts to establish an accountable, trusting patient safety culture with whistle blower protections and reporting on the use of the safe surgery checklist use;
- Protecting the perioperative registered nurse’s scope of practice by engaging in approaches to education, certification, supervision, roles, competencies, and duties; and
- Promoting the role of the perioperative registered nurse in achieving the reform goals of cost containment and improved patient experiences and outcomes.
Please contact Danielle Glover, AORN Government Affairs Manager if you have questions.