Caring for the Older Adult in the Perioperative Setting
The older adult population is growing quickly in the United States. In addition to understanding the physiological changes, communication difficulties, and greater numbers of complications associated with older patients, perioperative nurses must possess knowledge of how these, and other age-related factors, affect the care and treatment of the older adult in the perioperative setting. The goal of this module is to provide information regarding the physiological changes of aging and guidelines for nurses caring for the older adult in the perioperative setting.
After completion of this module, the perioperative registered nurse should be able to:
- Recall the various physiological changes that take place in the older adult
- Translate the knowledge of these physiological changes into ideas for perioperative practice
- Discuss the different communication skills necessary for working with the older adult in the perioperative setting
- Verbalize intraoperative concerns with transferring and positioning the older adult
- Distinguish the differences in sensation of pain and pain management in the older adult
- Identify postoperative and discharge priorities after surgery
This course awards 1.8 contact hours.
The 1.8 contact hours for this course will expire 1/31/2016.
This course can be purchased for $90 through the AORN product catalog. Users will have 90 days to complete the module.
PC Specs - Provide minimum system requirements for hardware and software for computers used to take this online course.
This course is accessible for three (3) months from the date of enrollment. Should you require an extension, there is a $50 fee per month, with a maximum extension of three (3) months. Extension months must be consecutive. Please call Customer Service at 800-755-2676 to request an extension.
AORN is accredited as a provider of continuing nursing education by the American Nurses Credentialing Center's Commission on Accreditation.
AORN is Provider approved by the California Board of Registered Nursing, Provider Number CEP 13019.
AORN recognizes these activities as continuing education for registered nurses. This recognition does not imply that AORN or the American Nurses Credentialing Center approves or endorses products mentioned in the activity.
This program is approved for 1.8 hours of AEU credit by BASC Provider #0102.